Globe Spinning Globe Spinning

Great work on the animation but the joke was only mildly amusing at best. The joke was predictable so that removed the surprise factor and deducted funny points.
Additionally, the video was scientifically inaccurate. You cannot open the emergency exit during flight due to cabin pressure (Smith 2013), especially at that high an altitude. The interior pressure fixes the door into place with such a large amount of force that even a champion bodybuilder can't budge it open. In order to open the door you'd have to force the pilot to depressurise the cabin first before you can open the door. If anyone's wondering how skydivers can dive off planes, it's because the planes they leap off from are not pressurised.
I'm giving most of the points for the fluid animation, so good work on that. I hope your future animations are funnier.

References
Smith, P. (2013). "Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know about Air Travel: Questions, Answers, & Reflections". Chicago: Sourcebooks.

your art is shit your art is shit

Well-done animation and affecting narration with very appropriate background music. A compelling message too, though rather a little melodramatic. But still a very keen observation of the artist's mind and their constant struggle with their art not being "good enough". It's true enough that a lot of artists get thoughts like that. However, stating "your art is shit" like it applies to everything is fallacious.
You state it like a fact, but the only fact is that art is subjective. Even those amalgamations of other people's styles can be original; just because someone takes inspiration from another artist doesn't mean they're unoriginal and pretentious. Those previous artists had to take inspiration from something or someone else too. In fact, everything we make is essentially stolen from others - standing on the shoulders of giants if you will.
You can't count all art as being shit because art's quality cannot be quantified objectively. Each individual has their own experiences and will perceive art differently. That's the main point of art - art is not good because all the critics are raving about it; art is good because individuals are emotionally impacted by it and its existence enhances their life. That art will be shit to some but those individuals that appreciate it will think it's beautiful.
You're probably aware of this, and maybe this video wasn't meant to be taken from an objective standpoint but from the point of view of the artist with low self-esteem who feels the need to compare him/herself to other artists. In that case, good work on the "shit" art.

PS
One part really rustled my jimmies.
00:29 "A Frankenstein on canvas"
People often mistakenly believe that the name Frankenstein refers to the monster in the story, but that name is actually attributed to Dr. Frankenstein - the scientist who brought the monster to life. The monster doesn't really have a name and is often just referred to as Frankenstein's monster.
Or maybe you are aware of that fact and "A Frankenstein on canvas" refers to the fact that the artist is emulating what Dr. Frankenstein did (Dr. Frankenstein collected body parts from corpses and combined them together to create his monster). Maybe you meant it in the way that people mean it when they say things like, "that's totally a Dali" or "That's a classic van Gogh" and so on. I'll assume that's the case and give you the benefit of the doubt.

PPS
Nice description.

dylan responds:

"but every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom
blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room,
we don't care, we're driving cadillacs in our dreams.
but everybody's like cristal, maybach, diamonds on your timepiece.
jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash.
we don't care, we aren't caught up in your love affair."

- beyoncé, 2013

Sonic Dimensions Ep 10 Sonic Dimensions Ep 10

There are so many things wrong with this movie.

The introduction was sort of okay but it was drawn out way too long. Do you think that 46 seconds(!) of panning from the sea and the sky to a pixelated Sonic sitting on a deck chair is entertaining? It's not. The pixelated Sonic also ruins the ambience of the scene btw.
In the next scene, Sonic is having a "conversation" with Knuckles. However, he remains pixelated on that chair, and the standing Knuckles is pixelated too. Neither of them actually move or talk! The dialogue is very monotonous and boring. The font is shockingly bad; it looks like the font used on karaoke lyrics; are we supposed to sing along using their conversation as lyrics?
Following that is an atrocious purple gradient background. The "animation" is a bunch of low resolution pixelated images that don't move around. You could say it's "sprite animation" but the sprites are not animated at all so it's not. The dialogue is, again, not very engaging, and it has awful grammar to top it off.
Next scene. Wow, Sonic actually moved. And he... smiled? The teeth you drew looked way out of place.
Next comes an introduction sequence, and what do we have? A bunch of low resolution sprites that mostly don't move, some images, and some music, all of which you don't have the rights to, nor do you credit your sources.
Next is a boring fight sequence between Sonic and Knuckles. Kudos on actually animating this time, but that fight sequence was very uneventful (you didn't even give Knuckles a chance!) and their "wounds" at the end were as unconvincing as Sonic's drawn on smile. Also, wasn't Knuckles supposed to give Sonic some chilli dogs or something? What happened to that?
Now we're back to stationary sprites and now the background is also low resolution. Great! Bad grammar and writing make a return.
And on to the next scene. We have large text that fills up the entire screen rather awkwardly. The mixture of animated sprites and the lacklustre non-animated ones is very unprofessional. Bad grammar is back again.
Next, Sonic is at home with Amy and gets kicked by Shadow. I thought Amy was worried about destroying the new house? If she really was worried then why is she starting a fight? This makes no sense whatsoever.
Next there are low resolution sprites again and ugly text, Then a picture is overlaid on top of that with even uglier animated "To Be Continued" text.
Last sequence now, with still images and music, which, again, you don't have rights to.

I've basically pointed out a lot of the things wrong with this animation. Now I have a few pieces of advice for you:
1. Improve your grammar. You don't have to be an English nerd or anything, but if you're telling a story you need to have good grammar so it doesn't break away from the immersion. Also, don't just liberally use swear words like "shit". It's bad form, and should only be used for emotional effect. In the instances you used them they felt very forced, kind of like you were just trying to show off that you have "shit" in your vocabulary.
2. Use better fonts if you're not going to be doing any voice acting. The fonts you're currently using are very obtrusive and they take away attention from the important participants because they just stand out so much. With subtitle fonts, subtlety is key. You don't want them so big; you want them to be readable and NOT distracting.
3. Learn how to animate PROPERLY. Your fight sequence animations were quite awful, except for some of the sprite animations which actually weren't that bad (unless you stole those). The energy balls(?) are very poorly done. They're just coloured circles that look very awkward as they fly towards an opponent. The sprites don't move around most of the time and they look very ugly almost all the time.
4. Learn how to put images together neatly. A lot of the time (actually all the time) it's obvious you just mixed a bunch of sprites and backgrounds together. Maybe one of them is too big and the resolution suffers, or they just look like they don't belong where they are. This applies to the text as well. Don't just settle for karaoke font and call it a day. And what's up with that "To Be Continued" animation? Do you think that looked good? Your introduction and ending sequence could also use some work. As of now they're just poorly done montages. It's like you just picked a bunch of images, did a bunch of animations, and called it quits. You took no effort at all to actually do a full animated sequence, or even a seamless collection of images. This flash animation is full of those seams. You need to stitch things together in such a way that it looks like they were never separate at all.
5. Don't use copyrighted material you have no rights to without giving credit. Seriously, it's illegal. You should at least tell people where you got things from.
6. Have interesting characters. The characters in your story are not very well-developed. I don't think I'd feel sympathy for any of them if they should die. They're just like hollow to me. To add to that, your characters all seem to have one type of personality. The dialogue you wrote could fit into any one of them.
6. Have an interesting and consistent plot! Seriously, if your characters have no personality at all your plot will have to be stellar. But your story is boring; it doesn't go anywhere, it's inconsistent, it contains plot holes. Your delivery of the story is not very good either, in part because of your bad grammar. If you have bad characters, bad animation, you need to have something good, but it seems that your plot is not good either.
I honestly felt no excitement whatsoever to anything that happened. There were no cliffhangers, twists, red herrings, adventure, mystery, not even any considerable action. I'm sorry to say this but there just wasn't anything engaging about the plot.

There are many more things you need to work on, but I'll stop there. You'll have to figure out yourself in which direction you'd take your art.

tl;dr - This animation has no redeeming qualities whatsoever so to make better ones in the future: fix your grammar, fix your art, fix your story-writing skills, actually put work on your art and use your own imagination and creativity to actually entertain people and not be boring.

sonicguy322 responds:

Wow... Really? Thank you for your advice :D Now i know what i did wrong xD

(I'm just a beginner so don't expect me to be a pro or something)

Jumphobia Jumphobia

This game has great level design, an original concept, and very responsive controls. There are also a good amount of levels available so it's satisfying for a short game. Plus the Level Maker feature is really great, giving players an opportunity to create their own levels if they're not satisfied with the current levels. The jump mechanic is actually really novel, and I think it's a great idea given my propensity to get my character to fall off platform ledges instead of jumping in platforming games (I'm sure I'm not the only one who's ever experienced this).

However, it's not perfect. My problem is not with the gameplay itself; that is mostly good. The difficulty was very fair too. The occasional bugs are what's annoying. You can easily get stuck in a level if you accidentally go back to the previous room. I had this problem with level called "An Obstructed Pathway". The following level had an arrow that changed the "gravity" of the room. Since the door to the previous room was still open, the character accidentally fell back to the previous room and since he was upside down there was no way he could exit the room. This is made especially annoying that if you exit to the menu, and if you want to get to that same point in the level, you have to play through the entire level from the beginning again. I'd say implement a checkpoint system that allows a player to return to a later room even after exiting the level, but I have a simpler solution (I actually think playing levels from the beginning is mostly fine); make the previous room inaccessible as soon as the player enters the next room. I see no reason to allow the player to access the previous room when there's nothing gained from doing so.

Beardgrow Beardgrow

Mediocre story but fairly fun and challenging game.

Positives
Despite me saying the story was mediocre, I did like the 5 multiple endings! They were predictable but it's still mildly interesting seeing how differently Dora responds based on how long Danny's beard is.
The 2-button restriction was also implemented very well. In the beginning it was a little frustrating but after some practice, the movement was actually very easy to master. The maximum beard rank is very attainable even with minimal effort. The game is fun once you get over the learning curve, which honestly is not that steep.
PS @trollface68. If arrow controls were added that would mean there would be more than two control buttons. This game was made for Ludlum Dare 34 which had the theme of growth and using only 2 buttons. Adding more controls would not only not meet the specifications of Ludlum Dare 34, it also makes the game way to easy. Have you seen the level design? You could get the highest score on the first try with the arrow controls. What’s the fun in that?

Not-so-positives?
When Danny gets caught by his dad and sent back to his room, you have to press the Up key to get rid of the Dad’s dialogue. This means as soon as Danny “respawns” he immediately jumps off the top centre platform and onto Hill the Bully on the middle left platform. It’s easy enough to avoid him while you’re in a period of semi-invincibility but this doesn’t stop this from being annoying. It may have been better if the 3 “enemies” at the top (Dad, Mom, and Kylie the Cheerleader) were similar to the bullies, i.e. their text automatically disappears and you don’t have to trigger it.

Suggestions?
It doesn’t make sense that Kylie the Cheerleader pinching Danny’s cheeks or even her thinking Danny’s a dork would be emasculating. Wouldn’t that make him more popular because a cheerleader is into him? (The one talking about Dora’s date is more morale-depleting than emasculating too). He would really be emasculated if she asks him to go shopping with her or play Barbie dolls, or manicure their nails together.
When Danny’s dad catches him he is sent back to his room but when his mother says he’s “grounded” he stays on the same platform. I found this to be an inconsistency. Wouldn’t “grounding” Danny indicate that he was forced to stay in his room?

Conclusion
This is fun for a short game and is a good time-waster. You really did a lot given the restrictions you had. As you see I didn’t really have a lot of negatives to say regarding this title. If it were a professional release I might, but as it is it’s okay. Great work!!

Swords and Souls Swords and Souls

This works really well as a faux "idle clicker game" and it was enjoyable for quite some time. Particularly, I liked being able to customise your character, the training minigames which were very fun skill games, the collectibles in the home, the Easter Eggs and the medals, and the semi-turn-based mechanics of the battles which was very interesting. Indeed, this is very very good for a Flash game. Nonetheless it could be better. Here are some suggestions:

1. The typical progression of the next more expensive weapon being stronger than the previous one was very vanilla, very characteristic of the idle clicker mechanic. It would have been preferable to have a choice of strong weapons so that all but one weapon fall by the wayside. I say take some inspiration from Fire Emblem and Pokémon, and implement their "one weapon more effective than the other" mechanic.
For example, Fire Emblem has the weapon triangle which goes like this:
Swords beats Axes
Axes beats Lances
Lances beat Swords
You could have used this instead of making "the strongest sword to beat them all" the last purchasable item. It requires no thinking at all to get to the very end and just use the same sword over and over again regardless of your opponent. You could include a weapon swapping mechanic in the arena, whereby if you see an opponent with an axe, and you're wielding a lance, you can decide to switch to a sword so you have an advantage.
I can see this playing into other enemies too. Like bows being more effective against birds and apples, but not very effective against enemies wearing armour. Poison not affecting those mushroom opponents, and being not very effective against opponents wearing steel. Fireballs could be very effective against armoured units and plant-based enemies, Ice magic would be very effective against flying enemies and also plant-based ones. There are many more I can think of, but I'll leave it there because I think you get the point.

2. Put a limit to the amount of skills and talents you can buy and/or equip. It's so easy to make your character invincible and just max out everything. If you limit the amount of equippable skills and talents this makes the gameplay a little more complex so players are not only relying on a single strategy to just plow through the game. They could swap abilities around to better suit their needs. This would fit in well with another suggestion I'm going to make (see #5).

3. Make the enemy characters smarter. All enemies were very boring. It was just kill this and kill that. Their attacks were all the same too. Even the boss characters! They don't use different spells, they don't get critical hits, they don't activate abilities, they don't get skills or talents, not even *SPOILERS* King Sir Scarow gets, and he's supposed to be the guy honing your skills! it's just headbutt over and over again! This doesn't make sense. He should at least be able to get a critical hit in. *SPOILERS* If you made the bosses much more remarkable it would have been better. All the battles are quite unremarkable. Even though I praised you on your interesting battle mechanic, all the opponents take almost no skill to beat especially if you've grinded up sufficiently. You should penalize players who just grind and overpower their characters without thinking.

4. Add a better story. What the hell is the point of battling in the arena? Are you just some dude who wants to kill a bunch of monsters? Why does the Scarecrow guy even take interest in you? Why are you so special? Aren't you just some stupid weakling? And if he's like the master trainer in all of the realm aren't there stronger warriors?
Heck even if it's just a generic good vs evil story. This game doesn't even develop plot regarding you and that woman in your house, nor does it explain why there are missing children everywhere. You don't really get anything from collecting all the missing children except for a trophy.
I think point #3 can also be added to this element. You can make the hero save the village from a dragon who collects rubies and diamonds, or maybe there are evil ravens stealing people's bags, or maybe a child-murderer in the loose who is super strong.

5. Add more "battle spots" that aren't the Arena. ALL of the battles take place in the arena. It would have been nice to have other places to go to, make them unlockables because this game got boring super quick. Maybe there are some dragons in the mountains? Or maybe a cave full of trolls? Sea enemies like sea serpents and pirates? There are soooo many options.

6. Improve the post-game! There's not much to do after you beat the final boss, save for continuing to play the minigames to try to beat your highscore and improve your stats, and playing in the Arena to fight never-ending opponents. After a while there's really just nothing to do anymore and improving your stats to ridiculous amounts becomes rather tedious and unrewarding, especially since the opponents don't really get genuinely harder. They're just a higher level, they don't become more complex, their attacks just do more damage. And if grinding is your game and that's what you find fun, that's good for you, but I prefer to be challenged in another way. The additional maps suggestion would be good for post-game, and maybe multi-player is a good idea too, especially if you implement all the other things i've previously mentioned. You could even include character classes. That would be great.

Anyway, in summary this is a fairly good game, but it's lacking in a lot of aspects. I'll give you a 4 anyway, because I think this deserves AT LEAST a 4 because it's a really good independent flash game. So with that said, if anyone bothered reading this review, yes I do recommend you play it despite all my criticisms. It's better than a lot of "idle clicker" games out there (even though this game really is nothing like an idle clicker). Have fun!

Lots of people find this review helpful!
SoulGame responds:

Wow, thanks for this impressive review! Since you put so much efforts into this I'd like to try and answer you on the points you mentioned:

1. Although I love Pokémon and Fire Emblem, I've never been a fan of the Rock Paper Scissor system. It does bring a lot of depth to Fire Emblem since it's a strategic turn based game involving multi units interactions, but I always found it dull in Pokémon where it comes down to "oh, a fire type, okay, go Squirtle" this is a no brain :p (unless you go in advanced meta PvP) and I think it would be the same in S&S since it's basically one on one fight.

2. I agree

3. Couldn't agree more! I've great plans with enemies pattern system which will be quite unique in S&S2, and true epic boss fights are planned!

4. Definitely going to fix that as well in the sequel, I've already written down a bunch of stuff concerning Sir Scarow past, the exploration of the Neverseen, etc. with lots of new NPCs with depth and character.

5. I almost added that in S&S but realized I didn't have the time needed. So, in the sequel, you'll be able to travel around! Beat troll in cave, goblin in forests, and dragon in mountains :)

6. It's really hard to design end game. I have a few more idea to make S&S2 end game more engaging tho. But no multiplayer, that's just not technically possible for me.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all that! Much appreciated.

climbingonroofs climbingonroofs

Are you just posting all of your musical experiments on here?
This one's not very interesting; and not very nice to listen to. I think you'll have better chances of being scouted if you publish complete works.

In fact, this one's so simple, I can summarise the notes you played. They might be slightly wrong but they'll play the same melody that this song played.

AB
A
G
E
G

Post better works in the future. :)

Derp Face Derp Face

I'll get straight to the point.

"This is a place to share your own original works, not to post your favourite Eminem songs or the song your friend asked you to upload. If you didn't make it, do not upload it."
Source: https://www.newgrounds.com/wiki/help-information/terms-of-use/audio-guidelines

Reported.

Tristam & Braken - Frame of Mind Tristam & Braken - Frame of Mind

Hello there DragonicSin.
So I was considering the possibility that you're actually Tristam, but I checked your profile and I see that you're from the Philippines. Now, Tristam is from Canada. That's an inconsistency right there, so I'm going to go under the assumption that you are NOT Tristam.

While you have provided reference to Tristam & Bracken and claimed that it's their work, the Newgrounds Audio Portal is not for sharing songs you like. It's for sharing songs you made yourself. Here's a quote:

I will now report this piece of music. Have a nice day.